Tuesday, March 15, 2011

MoMI Expansion

So, for Blogs@Baruch, I've been working on a feature story about the movie palace, Tut's Fever, inside the Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria. That post will be up soon, but I did want to give my thoughts on the museum's recent expansion.

My first experience at the museum was just about a year ago on a trip with my Film History class (college field trips ftw) I was really blown away by the entire place- from the classic arcade video games to the  portraits Hollywood's most notable actors and actresses. Writing the feature story gave me an excuse to go and check out the newly revamped space.

On the third floor, they've added a bunch of interactive, 3-D exhibits. Maybe it's my personal bias against 3D anything (too gimmicky, not enough substance), but I just wasn't really impressed. Which I hate to say, because, as previously stated, the museum pre-expansion is amazing but I think the space could have been utilized so much more efficiently. Hopefully, they'll rotate in some new exhibits soon.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't still go, in fact, Fridays, the museum has free admission on Fridays from 4-8 pm. If that's not incentive enough, then I don't know what is!



P.S. Having some issues uploading pics, once I figure it out, they'll be up asap. 

No comments:

Post a Comment